Thursday, January 28, 2010

Technique Tutorial - Crayon Resist

For a pdf copy of this tutorial, click HERE.

Technique Tutorial
Crayon Resist

Crayon Resist is a simple, but very effective technique that can be used with most stamp sets.  It's relatively easy and it can be used for creating one card, or multiples.  Can't beat that!

Supplies:
Whisper White card stock
Your desired stamp set
(I’ve used Happy Moments -
Sale-A-Bration 2010)
Stazon Black Ink Pad
Coloured classic inks
(I’ve used So Saffron, Baja Breeze and Mellow Moss)
White crayon (wax)
Stampin’ Sponges - cut into smaller pieces

Step One
Using Black Stazon ink, stamp your image/s onto the Whisper White cardstock. In this tutorial, I’ve created an entire sheet to use like Designer Series Paper (DSP).  Stazon is the best ink to use because it’s permanent and won’t smudge later when you’re blending your inks.

Step Two
Using a white wax crayon (water soluble crayons won’t give you the same effect), roughly colour the parts of your image that you want to remain white. 

Because white crayon doesn't show well in photos, here's a coloured example:




Step Three
Cut a Stampin’ Sponge into smaller pieces so you can use them for separate colours (it’s also more economical and easier to handle).

Ink your first piece of sponge with the ink pad you’re using first. I’m using So Saffron first as it’s the lightest of the three.


Step Four
Pick a spot to begin, and gently sponge the ink onto the card stock.  It's best to start gently so you can work out the best pressure to apply for the effect you're going for. 

For this project, I'm going to be applying 3 colours over the entire sheet.  For the first layer I'll be applying large "dots" of ink evenly across the page.  It's better to apply too little than too much, because you can always go back to apply more later.

NOTE: Please be aware of the card stock you're using.  Whisper White is fantastic for soaking up ink, so the effect you've created will subtly change as you're going.

This is what the first layer looks like:







Continue on with your inks to do the remaining layers. For my project I'm applying Baja Breeze for the second layer...

...then Mellow Moss for the third layer. I've left some white space so I can go back with each ink and even out the overall colour effect. I'm aiming for an even distribution of colours, so I don't want to end up with no room to move after applying the two darker inks.



Complete
Once you've finished evening out the colours, gently rub a tissue or piece of paper towel over the sheet to remove the ink that is sitting on top of the crayon.

Now you're ready to make your projects using your unique DSP.
Project Ideas:
Here are some cards I made using the Crayon Resist technique:



I hope you found this tutorial useful - I'd love to know what you think!  I'd also love to see any projects that are made using this technique - just leave a link to your blog with a note in the comments section.


15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial I will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your samples are FAB! I have tried this technique before but I only put 'bits' of white into my stamped image-I really like your effect though & hope to get time to try it out soon. Maybe once I get my hands on that sale a bration set!!!(I want them all!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LURVE this Danielle...your samples are stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying this technique!!!!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle, this is fantastic! Cannot wait to give it a try. :-) It looks great with that Sale-A-Bration set, cannot wait till mine arrives!! ;-) Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried this technique but in a different way - drawing lines onto an image to resist the ink. But I like this take on it too - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great turtorial Dan and amazing samples!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!!! A little tip... when I cut my SU sponges in quarters I clip them onto a little bulldog clip. This makes using small sponges a whole lot less messy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the awesome tutorial! Your cards are absolutely stunning...hope the postie deliver's my SAB sets tomorrow so I can case your cards! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just fabbo!! Can't wait to give it a try. Will raid the crayons in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing this fabulous tutorial. I will definitley give this a go. Your samples are just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! I love the effect that gives. And the tutorial was very clear & easy to follow.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so beautiful! I especially love the pink and black one at the bottom! Gorgeous! TYFS!

    Chanda Stehlik
    www.BellevueStampingClub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely beautiful, I will be trying this when I get home from work tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just heard about this technique and googled a tutorial. So glad I found yours as it was very easy to understand. I can't wait to try it! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete